Thursday, April 30, 2009

"Garage Sale! 9737 52nd ave. Power tools, kids clothes, quality housewares and toys..."

because my dad has been sick on and off, he is off work until august as doctors orders.
my parents now spend lots of time together (like they're retired...) and for fun they have been checking out garage sales.
they really aren't as old as this makes them sound. However in all their "adventures and finds" i am annoyed. Their new hobby has spiraled me into rage.

I hate garage sales.
there. i said it. before you tell me how you can find great deals on vintage finds and new add-ons for your diy projects let me tell you something:

Growing up with a dutch grandmother, who herself grew up during the great depression...and also playing favorites with her children and grand children.....(I not making the cut)
for Christmas I would get "gifts" from rummage and garage sales. While my cousins would get giormous lego sets, and abercrombie clothes. Meanwhile i got to play with a "vintage" play sink from the 1970's. an play ironing board that cost under $10 and books about the jungle doctor.
So maybe this inspires jealousy, in which i do not deny. let me point out another fact.
dear grandma would periodically give us bags of clothes from these great sales. fashions of great they were not, and sadly i would wear them. If you don't believe me look at my elementary school pictures. however, we didn't have much money growing up, handouts were nice even if they were of poor fashion.
To top that my family and I went through another period of garage saleing. looking in papers and following signs, knowing the dandelion parade and tulip time would mean subdivisions would be selling in mass. Cars lined up for miles all to scour a deal. I still see metal brass beds and light pink and teal my little ponies with those octagonal tv/side tables popping into my head. SICK! ( and the people you bump into and the ones that are selling their possessions deserve a ranting post on their own)
So while i am revisiting these events in my life I think to my current position. I like nice things. My mother says i have expensive tastes, which I'd like to think is true. However I work my ass off for the things I have. I stay away from garage sales. I know they are part of my past and I can appreciate them to a degree. I have no problem with goodwill or specialty vintage clothing stores. Thats cool to a point. Garage sales just ring in an inner-angst i cannot see past. They remind me of a social status I want to not be. 
So before you go running around in your tacky almost vintage clothing telling everyone you are indie, and you are rad, shut the fuck up. Growing up lower middle class the last thing you want to be dressed in are things that don't remind you of your status every damn day.
 does that make sense? if you have further questions of social systems i'd be happy to tell you why the poorest people dress the nicest have the worst homes and drive escalades if you want my two cents.
thank you for this public message opportunity

1 comment: